Sunday, May 3, 2009

About

I am a car geek. All the way, head to toe. Indeed, a car ultra-geek. I’ve been reading about them since I was six. I drive them, I build them, I hot-rod them, I spend a bunch of time imagining how cars that I don’t even own could be made better or cooler or faster or prettier. Sometimes, when I have nothing else to do, I imagine that I have some other life with different car requirements, and then imagine what type of car I would need to meet those requirements. If I was a lumberjack, what type of car might I have? If I was a war correspondent, what type of car? I just love the things. I really do.

And the other thing I love, not least because it’s cheaper and easier that driving, building, hot-rodding and buying cars, is reading about them.

I know I’m not entirely alone in this. There are a bunch of magazines published for people like me – Octane, Classic Cars, Classic and Sports Car.

It’s the reading about them that has me here. See, I like a well written and entertaining article about cars. And there are a reasonable number of those in the magazines. Fewer than I might like, because car journalists often take themselves too seriously (I mean, it’s a car, not the war in Afghanistan), but enough.

And I also quite like blogs. But though there are a number of great blogs about some of the other things I like – some great bicycle blogs, some great style blogs – I can’t for the life of me find a car blog that does what I want.

I’m not actually sure what it is I want ... but I thought I’d write it and try to figure that out along the way. A kind of car-style blog, that’s not too techie, not too Fast and Furious-ie, but also not too hyper-directional-fashionista-ie, like that Intersection magazine is (not enough car geek there – no technical understanding. I think you need to have a technical understanding, but not bore people with it).

All with a touch of funny thrown in for good measure.

So I think that’s what I’m going for. Let’s see what we can do.

Stay tuned.

[And look at that – two posts in one day. He's charging hard, but I bet he doesn’t have the staying power.]

No comments:

Post a Comment